Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Finals and Farmers Markets and other Fun Things!

Yay! Today I had my last final of the semester! I have been studying for the past two weeks for the four final exams I had. I did find time to do some fun activities though.


Here are a few:
1. I saw a movie at the Luna Cinema in Leederville. It premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and was called Mad Bastards and was about an Aboriginal man and his family. It had great music by the Pigram Brothers and Alex Lloyd and featured some areas around Perth that I have been too. Here is the trailer:






I would recommend this film. It didn't have a very strong plot, but it provided good insight into the lives of the characters and had some beautiful scenery of Australia and the Kimberly landscape.

2. Two Farmers Markets in the Same Day.
Last Saturday I went to Perth City Farm as well as the Subiaco Farmers Market. Perth City Farm is located in East Perth and is both a farmers market and an urban garden. They had chickens which was really exciting! I took a lot of photos of them. I also bought a biodynamically grown organic carrot from Tasmania. It was delicious and didn't have that metallic taste that carrots sometimes have.
I ate half of it before I could take the photo....




  
Australian chickens or "chooks" as they are called here. 

 
The farm also included a restaurant, a plant sale, lots of graffiti, and a hydroponic garden with fish.
Compost "recipe"
After wandering around we went to the Subiaco market which I have been to several times. It has a very different vibe compared to the City Farm. I got chai at this market and listened to the live music.

3. Finals are done! I leave Perth on Sunday and I will return to the States on Monday. Happy summer solstice (in the northern hemisphere) and winter solstice where I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment