Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Kings Park and Fremantle

Last week I went to Kings Park and Fremantle with other international students. We left the UWA campus in the morning and took buses to each location. Kings Park is a huge park located in Perth near the UWA campus. At night they show movies under the stars. The park is so huge that we drove the the opposite end to get photos of downtown Perth and the Swan River. There was a large war memorial and three rotundas. I plan on going back to explore more of the park and the botanical gardens.
Lemon-Lime school buses that we take to events. The bus driver played John Denver songs on the radio!
Here I am next to a Gija Jumulu (Boab tree). This tree was uprooted from Telegraph Creek in northern WA and transported to the Kings Park Botanical Garden. A new bridge had to be constructed in order for the tree to be moved. It took six days for the tree to reach Perth (3200km away).
One of three rotundas.


All of the sewer plates on campus and in the park have this stylized design of Australia and Tasmania on them. I think it's neat.
War memorial with views of Perth in the background.


Next Stop: Fremantle
Fremantle kind of reminded me of a mix of the Port of Seattle and Edmonds especially down by the marina and the beach. But, Edmonds has more flowers. There were also several indoor markets that we went to. They had flowers, food, souvenirs, and crafts. Everyone here calls it "Freo."


Here is the entrance. Fremantle had interesting architecture and the buildings looked old.

There was also cheese! Tasmanian cheese is very popular here. I would like to go there and visit a cheese factory.

Bags of lentils, yum.

This suspicious looking thing was called a buzz ball. I got it at a raw food stand. I can't remember what all the ingredients were but it had grapes, nuts, chocolate, mint, coconut, and spirulina (a type of blue-green alga). The lady at the booth told me it would give me energy all day, but I didn't notice anything different. It was delicious though!

After wandering through the market we walked through the streets and along the water.


I did not try this gelato.

Cool monster outside the Fremantle Art Center.


Naturalist Gumby with a Norfolk Pine needle.

Here are some of the internationals jumping for joy! I'm in the middle in the blue shorts.


I really liked this sign because it has a chicken in running shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment